Saturday, November 10, 2012

Friendship Quilt Challenge

For the last few years one of our local quilt shops has run a Friendship Quilt Challenge. Those taking part must make 12 blocks with a particular theme, each block must be 12 1/2 inches square and contain at least one piece of the designated fabric chosen by the organiser. The background fabric must be white cream or a pale colour matching the fabric. We put our name and date on each of our blocks.

We are expected to be completed by the end of March 2013 when all blocks must be submitted.   We receive twelve blocks back again, one of our own, and eleven from other participants. There are a number of people who have put their name forward, some from the UK as well as local quilters and others from further afield. You can read more about it here.

This year the theme is hearts. I have decided to participate - there are many different types of heart designs to choose from, and its a chance to experiment with colours and techniques. We can make every one different or some or all the same.

Here are two of the blocks I have completed. The designated fabric is the floral in pinks with a blue/green background. Its probably not a design I would have chosen however it lends itself well to including lots of other colours that blend in.


I have made some using paper piecing, and several are in various stages of completion using applique.

No comments: