The authorities are saying that on the sandy beaches the oil is easier to remove, but when it is on the rocks, ie all around Motiti Island, then it is harder to deal with.
There are still huge tanks on the ship that are not yet ruptured,they are working to contain these and drain them. The difficulty is that the oil has a jelly like consistency and has to be heated first to make it flow.
I think one hard fact to deal with is that it wasn't a storm or 'act of nature' that ran the ship aground, but human error or negligence.
3 comments:
Oh, I feel for you!
I remember the devastation brought by the Exxon Valdez in 1989.
Some of it gets better quicker than you think. Alas, some of it seems never to get better. My heart goes out to you and your countrymen!
The authorities are saying that on the sandy beaches the oil is easier to remove, but when it is on the rocks, ie all around Motiti Island, then it is harder to deal with.
There are still huge tanks on the ship that are not yet ruptured,they are working to contain these and drain them. The difficulty is that the oil has a jelly like consistency and has to be heated first to make it flow.
I think one hard fact to deal with is that it wasn't a storm or 'act of nature' that ran the ship aground, but human error or negligence.
Post a Comment