Friday, February 4, 2011

I've been captured.....



I've been captured by a hobby - quilting. I knew this would happen.

For years I had wanted to take some lessons in quilting but I knew that it was not a good idea until I had the time to devote to it. I have always been inclined to enjoy creative pastimes and also sewing.

When our four children were little I sewed most of their clothes until the boys began wearing jeans and our daughter began to covet the occasional designer label. There was not the variety of affordable childrens clothes to buy in the shops either and it was much more fun to make them.

And - when we we went off to our summer home, you would never believe this - I took my sewing machine on holiday with me. HOW SAD is THAT! I justified it this way - the sun is far too strong for me to venture out for several hours each day, so I opened up both ranch sliders and set up my machine at the table where the breeze flowed through and it was actually very pleasant. When the family all arrived I just packed it all up again. I worked on the project shown - another applique quilt.

This is my latest childrens quilt made for a much loved nephew. As with the others I have made, I have put a dedication on the back. His reads -

To XXXXX, with love from Auntie xxxx, 'Quilts are like love, they keep you warm'

Underneath the quote I have made two pockets so I can hide a lolly or a note in when I come to visit.

And it is the last full size quilt I will do for a while. My next projects are a couple of cot sized quilts. With another grandchild due in July I have some good ideas just waiting to be actioned.

5 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Oh, this is BEAUTIFUL... Just exquisite! Did you do the quilt's design yourself, or did you work from a pattern??

I am beginning to introduce myself to quilting, very slowly... This past spring, I finished 3 "rag quilts": one for each girlie. I'd love to try a real pattern, though-- my best friend (who has moved away, alas...) and her mother are real masters of quilting, and I have always coveted their treasures, hung as artwork on the walls, as well as spread out upon their beds.

Congratulations, too, on the forthcoming grandchild!!!

Much love to you, as always-- CGF xoxo

merinz said...

Hi Candy - thank you for your comments. No I didn't design this quilt myself - it came as a pattern.

I chose all the materials, cut them out and did all the applique and sewing together of the quilt top of course. All by machine.

This time I used blanket stitch, the earlier posting of the animal quilts were appliqued using a very close satin stitch.

The actual quilting was done by a local lady who owns a long arm quilting machine. I haven't mastered free motion quilting yet, am about to practice on a cot quilt I am making.

To quilt a large quilt like this on my home sewing machine would be beyond me at this stage!

merinz said...

http://www.kidsquilts.com/products.cfm?SubCategoryID=21

This is the link to the Kids Quilts page where they have an array of patterns for sale.

merinz said...

http://www.harebrainedhappenings.com/patterns.html

This is the link for the animal quilts patterns.

Jinksy said...

Full marks for yuor creativity! Lucky Nephew xxxxx !