Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Another earthquake in Christchurch

I have been sitting in front of TV all afternoon, at times in tears, as I watch the people of Christchurch in the South Island, cope with the aftermath of another quake.

A quake of magnitude 6.3 struck just before 1pm this afternoon, at a depth of 5km. This is very shallow and it has done a lot of damage. Sadly there is loss of life, many people trapped, and fires raging. And their beloved Cathedral, an icon in the city, is very badly damaged.

I have heard that our family there are safe, but all have suffered damage to their houses. I have yet to hear from two other family members, one of whom was working in the downtown area today.

We live far away, in the North Island. They are calling for blood donations. Tomorrow I will go and donate, at least its something I can do.

Our heart goes out to our fellow New Zealanders.

The New Zealand Herald has more news.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/

Update:
65 people so far confirmed have died.

5 comments:

Veronica Wald said...

This time the American media are paying more attention. I think most of my fellow citizens remain completely unaware of Christchurch's just previous trembler. Such disruption, may the aftershocks and devastation stop!

Trudie said...

My thoughts are with you and your fellow citizens. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to experience an earthquake - but I know I'd be scared.

merinz said...

Thank you both for your comments.
I have never been in a big earthquake. But I know that the people of Christchurch are very traumatised by the events. people are phoning the radio station talkback shows with stories of their survival and how they are coping.

My neice was at her University in the basement when the earthquake happened. The lights immediately went out but she was able to get out and run to the childcare facility to pick up her son.

But when she got home her house which is on the ground floor, had many cracks in it. She and her family were planning to sleep outside last night. Some of the aftershocks are very strong and they were afraid of further damage and the house collapsing on them.

There are several shelters set up all around the city for people who are afraid to go home.

Candygirlflies said...

Oh, how I wish I were closer, and could be of some practical help, in some small way!! There are so many of us around the world who are watching our tvs, and sending prayers NZ's way...

So glad to hear that your family and friends are safe. Thinking of you, in frozen Canada.

xoxo CGF

Putz said...

i did wonder how you were affected and now i know