Sunday, February 21, 2010

More fruit stories - Passionfruit









































More of the summer harvest. Now our passionfruit are ripening. Passionfruit have such an interesting name - and I have no idea why they are linked to 'passion'!

Perhaps its the lovely fruity tropical smell when you cut them open that reminds one of tropical beaches, sunsets, and - well - passion. And they are a beautiful deep shade of purple.

No likelihood of these little fruit going to waste - I scoop out the contents and freeze any spare ones we have. They make an excellent topping for desserts, and to add to cooked fruit and fruit salads. I also occasionally make 'passionfruit honey' which is a spread for toast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost crawled into the screen.... I LOVE passion fruit!

Anonymous said...

I like the taste but the look of them cut open reminds me of something else.

Sorry! ;-)

merinz said...

Allmyke - I am amazed that you can get them!

Gail - yes I know what you mean! But their aromatic flavour cancels out the look of them!

Allmycke said...

We import fruit from all over... I know it adds to my "carbon footprint"
but I since I only eat meat from the area, I figure it's OK to indulge in fruit from afar.