
Smoke crosses Tasman - 6:00AM Monday Feb 09, 2009
"While the heatwave in most parts of the country has put firefighters on alert, Southlanders were experiencing a phenomenon of a different kind.
Queenstown residents reported a "strange orange glow" in their region, caused by smoke from the Australian bushfires.
"At present the air is blowing directly from South Australia to south New Zealand, and it is taking all that smoke with it in the cloud," MetService weather ambassador Bob McDavitt said."
NZ Herald Monday Feb 9th
Our heart goes out to our Australian 'cousins' who are experiencing the worst bush fires ever and with considerable loss of life.
So fierce are the fires that the smoke has been blown across the Tasman sea to New Zealand.
5 comments:
That's a mind boggling occurance. Wish I could send Oz some of our rain.
Prince and I have been keeping up with this story on CNN Headline News. I'm at a loss of words about these fires. I hope that you and yours are all okay and in a safe place. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Steady On
Reggie Girl
Hi Jinksy - yes Oz - especially Victoria -could sure use some rain.
Reggae - thank you for stopping by, and for your kind thoughts. Thankfully we are thousands of miles away in New Zealand.Parts of our country are also very very dry at the moment, especially in the lower South Island and the Fire Crews are on standby.
But it is amazing how the smoke from Australia can drift all the way to us!
Oh, Mrinz... I have just come from watching more coverage of this terrible tragedy on television. Such an event is nearly unfathomable to those of us in the depths of snowdrifts in the Great White North. My mother experienced prairie fires as a child, but the scope and intensity of those fires in Australia-- and the very idea that they might actually have been intentionally set-- and perhaps re-lit after they had been extinguished-- is simply horrifying.
I am so glad you are safe in NZ... I hope all of the rest of your family members and friends are safe, too.
Much love, as always-- CGF xoxo
Candy - thank you for your comments.
I actually do have close family - and Aunt, Uncle and cousins - in a very very dry part of New South Wales.
They too have had close calls with bush fires in the past. The paddock opposite their house was the helicopter base during a series of bush fires a few years ago.
At the moment there are no fires near them.
I am having great difficulty comprehending that anyone could light fires intentionally!
Post a Comment