Saturday, January 24, 2009

Polly the Possum


Isn't she cute. Polly was hand reared and resides at Longridge Park near Rotorua.

However I have been known to say that the only good possum is a dead one. They are responsible for chewing their way through our native plants at an alarming rate.



Possums were introduced from Australia last century for the fur trade and with no natural predators in New Zealand they quickly multiplied and became a pest. They are protected in Australia but here they are hunted and destroyed.

So sorry Polly - you may be cute but your relatives have wreaked havoc on our native wildlife and we wish we could send you all back to Australia.

3 comments:

Putz said...

give him to me to take care of and i am sure he will die

Anonymous said...

Isn't it sad that when left alone animals take care of themselves, yet when man gets involved things go wrong and the poor creatures suffer.

I think Polly is lovely - please don't send her to Putz!

btw - the word verification is mudist!! Would that be a skinned cat?

merinz said...

hi Putz and Tismee - Putz you are welcome to all the possums I can end your way.

Sorry Tismee but that is the state of the feeling here! But I agree with you re the interference of humans in animal populations. Rabbits suffered the same interference and are suffering the consequences in Australia and New Zealand.

Aren't some of the word verifications funny! Its a whole new language.