
I have been meaning to post this for a while in response to a question once about our local temperatures and zone classification.
We are in Zone 10 which means that we can grow plants that can withstand winters where the temperature goes down to a maximum of -1 Celsius. Our area of zone 10 is just a small niche on the coastline.
This is how I am able to grow, in a sheltered position, Frangipani, Poinsettia, Fruit salad plant, and many other semi tropical plants. They still need to be in a sheltered position and covered occasionally.
The New Zealand zone temperatures differ slightly from the American classifications which are:
Zone 1: below -46 C (below -50 F)
Zone 2: -46 to -40 C (-50 to -40 F)
Zone 3: -40 to -34 C (-40 to -30 F)
Zone 4: -34 to -29 C (-30 to -20 F)
Zone 5: -29 to -23 C (-20 to -10 F)
Zone 6: -23 to -18 C (-10 to 0 F)
Zone 7: -18 to -12 C (0 to 10 F)
Zone 8: -12 to -7 C (10 to 20 F)
Zone 9: -7 to -1 C (20 to 30 F)
Zone 10: -1 to 4 C (30 to 40 F)
Zone 11: above 4 C (above 40 F)
3 comments:
Wow! I'm going to have to show this to my husband! He'd love to check this out!
we are zone one...i used to walk to work in minus 30 weather with the nose hairs freezing up
Chrissy - I would love to see your farm one day!
Putz - I experienced walking around in minus 30 when I lived in Canada (Quesnel BC) for a year way back in 1969. It was downright scary being outside in those temperatures. But I loved it too. All that snow!
It doesn't snow where I live here. It does further south but not in the Bay of Plenty.
Post a Comment