

These are two images of some early ancestors of mine. They were taken using a light to project the image onto a screen and then filled in. Both were taken before the more popular method at the time, the daguerreotype, was widely used.
The first image is of Anne Catherine Wilson. She and her husband John Alexander Wilson and their two children travelled to New Zealand in 1832 to become missionaries. They had two more children in New Zealand and in 1838 Anne died, we think of breast cancer.
Anne and John Wilson were my Great Great Great Aunt and Uncle.
Her sister in law, Maria Williams Wilson,(the second image)was asked to journey out from England and help to look after the children. No doubt, being the only sister of John, and an unattached female, she was told it was her duty to come and help. She arrived in New Zealand in 1939 and accompanied her brother and the children to mission stations in Tauranga and Opotiki.
In 1843 Maria married Henry Tacy Kemp, eldest son of the missionaries James and Charlotte Kemp of Kerikeri.
Maria and Henry were my Great Great Grandparents.
Sadly there is little oral history that has been passed down in our family about her. She is remembered as a kindly woman, she spoke French, and was very homesick for England. She never ever returned there.
We are lucky though as many letters written by both ladies have survived. These give us an idea of what life was like in early New Zealand for the European women.
They had many different things to cope with - firstly the long and sometimes dangerous voyage out here, the lack of the type of housing they would have been used to, the difficulty in keeping the standard of dress that society still demanded of them, coping with sickness and also childbirth in primitive conditions etc.
.....to be continued
7 comments:
Very interesting... and I like how the pictures were made; I never knew that's how they did it.
this sounds like the movie that humphry bogart and kathrine hepburn were in...when she was a missionarie with her brother who was killed and teamed up with a river runner in africa
I love to find out stuff like that. I wish I could spend more time on my family history but so many things and so little time at the moment.
I would think the journey there would be horrendous. A 9 hour flight to Florida does me in!
i had a sarah dalton of three going to america for religious freedom, and her dad john dalton snatched her from her mother's arms and took her off the boat and to salford to raise her in the silk industry while her mother went on to utah, ernest her son, and my grandfather came later to his grandmother for work in a mill
Hi Ewe, Gail and Putz - thank you for your comments. My post is a bit deadly dull to non family members I fear, but I am suffering from 'blogger block' at the moment.
I have also been away for a week with family so unable to blog.
well I must be long lost familythen because it's not deadly dull to me. Tell me more about your town and it's history.
Wow! Thanks for sharing this with us, Mrinz! How interesting! :)
BTW, I've got something for you on my blog :)
http://lifeonmanitoulin.blogspot.com/2008/10/thank-you-thank-you-very-much.html
Post a Comment