Saturday, February 16, 2008

Some sunshine for my Northern Hemisphere Friends



6 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

How beautiful!! What a welcome sight. Thank you, Mrinz.

My girlies and I would like to know how tall these plants grow?

We have friends who grow record-breaking sunflower plants in their garden every summer.

xo CGF

Anonymous said...

Wow they are gorgeous. I hav etried to grow them a few times but they don't grow very tall.

Are they all in your garden? I am going to potter in mine tomorrow - they say it will be sunny again so I will try to remember to take a few photos of the 'winter look'.

ewe are here said...

I love sunflowers... grew them way back when I used to live in California.

merinz said...

Hi Candy, Tismee and Ewe - Sunflowers are so - well - sunny! I can't help but smile when I see them.

These ones are the result of some seeds I grew a few months ago, it was a packet of mixed varieties and that is just what I got. However none of them are the giant ones that I sometimes grow.

I have been told the secret to growing the giant ones is to put a handful of 'blood and bone' fertilizer under the plant when you plant it.

Yes please Tismee, take some photos of the winter scene, then a spring and summet one.

Unknown said...

Hello, my lovely! Thanks for shining some sunshine this way!

I'd love to grow some sunflowers this year. They really do brighten up the day with their sunny disposition ;)

At the moment, it's all ice and snow where we are. Things are starting to melt, but it won't be another few months until we can actually grow things outdoors! :( I think I need to work on getting my greenhouse up to specs! I have a lovely greenhouse, but too much on my plate that I haven't done anything with it this year. Last year, I started all my seeds in there. It was glorious. I really need to get my act together!

merinz said...

Chrissy - wow - a greenhouse.

They do take a lot of work to get full use out of them. But a wonderful way to start off seeds.

I have just invested in a 'mini' greenhouse - very mini - about 3ftx3ftx3ft. But I can fit several trays of seed boxes in it. But I found out it is far too hot to leave plants in it in the height of summer, even with ventilation.