Thursday, February 21, 2008

Amaryllis

































Here are some photos of some rather beautiful flowers that have just made their annual appearance in my garden. They are a member of the belladonna family (I think) and are called amaryllis.

We have a rather more descriptive name for them - n*ked l*dies. So called because they appear without any accompanying leaves, the leaves arrive later when the flowers are spent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We call them 'nose peckers' as when Jordan was just small we had one in the house and as it grew taller than him he became very wary of it - especially as he thought it had beaks (closed flowers) and would peck his nose off.

Pop over to my latest post to see a wee surprise!

Candygirlflies said...

How beautiful! I love the colour.

These flowers are sold as bulbs in stores here before Christmas... I always try to buy a few potted ones (my favourite is red) so that they will bloom in time for the holidays.

Now I'll never be able to think of them as anything but "N*ked L*dies" forevermore!!

Thanks for the cheer-up, Mrinz!

xo CGF