Friday, October 31, 2014

Time to call it a day

A family update:

Our Grandchild count has now risen to six, and now all our four children are married/partnered. Two live overseas, one in Australia, and our daughter still in Bahrain.

The last wedding took place in Queensland, Australia five weeks ago. Our youngest son married his long time Australian girlfriend. What a lovely occasion it was, way out in the country, in a vineyard, surrounded by Australian bush, kangaroos around (well evidence of where they had been) in the evenings and our accommodation in rustic wee cabins amongst the trees.

I can tell you though, these New Zealanders with their fear of snakes and spiders and other creepy and lethal Australian creatures, trod very carefully along the stony paths at night to their cabins! For those of you who may not know, we have no snakes in New Zealand, and only one poisonous spider and that is rarely seen. So here in NZ we can tramp around off the beaten tracks with no fear of anything nasty lurking. The grandchildren were warned not to play around the edges of the duck pond as a snake currently lives there! That struck fear into the hearts of the parents! Australians seem to learn to live with these creatures and are very casual about them. However in Australia I don't see children playing amongst the undergrowth or in any overgrown grass verges.

I have decided to say goodbye to my blog. It has been sadly neglected of late and rather than just peter out, I thought that I would give it a proper farewell.

I am not sure why this has happened, maybe as life moves on other things start taking precedence and there is not the need to record events as there once was. I don't even take the photographs I once did, my Husband has taken over as the family photographer.

I guess we have taken a slight shift in family life with my husband now retired and home all day. We are travelling more, overseas and in NZ, and also going off to our beach house more often,

I have also become more involved with quilting, a creative pastime I really enjoy. As well as knitting, and also transcription of old letters.

I thank my faithful readers, Candy, Betty, Gail, Veronica, Chrissie and Teepe for their continued interest. I will still visit your blogs and keep in touch.

I wont delete NZ Links, just in case I have a change of heart!

With best wishes for the festive season,

Bye and God Speed,

Merinz



7 comments:

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Hope you still pop in occasionally - when the mood strikes :)
Adore the pots in your picture - just beautiful.

take care
x

merinz said...

Glad you like my photo. It was taken at a pottery on our last trip to Bahrain. These pots are very popular there, they are often seen in courtyards and look spectacular with a light in them.

betty-NZ said...

It will be sad to see you go, but I do understand. Sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do. I will miss you.

merinz said...

Good to hear from you Betty. And thanks for your comments. I will still be around. And interested in how life is going on in Taranaki. Sounds like you are enjoying the country life!

Veronica Wald said...

Very sorry to see you go - I was hoping the travels would inspire more posts! I too have been rather silent, but we have just relocated across the country from Illinois to a new house in Bozeman, Montana. New houses and unpacked boxes are very demanding of one's attentions, but we are in a position to soon launch into many new adventures, and we're within 90 miles of our beloved Yellowstone National Park, so if we EVER get organized enough I plan to "blog on" so I hope you'll come visit Amusing Musings once in a while!
Best of luck you you, I've greatly enjoyed your posts, however few and far between :-)

merinz said...

Hi Veronica. Lovely to hear your news. Is your move the result of retirement? It sounds very exciting to now be close to the Park. And have time to enjoy it.

Good luck with your future travels. Do let me know if you are planning a trip down our way.

I will still be reading and commenting on all my favourite blogs, yours included. So will keep in touch.

betty-NZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.