Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hairy Maclary



Next week I am looking forward to attending the latest exhibition at our local art gallery.

Hairy Maclary from the chldrens book 'Hairy Maclary from Donaldsons Dairy' is now nearly 30 years old. He was the creation of a local author Lynley Dodd and Hairy, along with his friends, will be on display at the Tauranga Art Galley from March 4 to celebrate Lynley’s illustrations in her first-ever exhibition.

There is now a series of books featuring Hairy and his friends. They are one of my favourite childrens series with their delightful rhyming characters - Slinky Malinki, Hercules Morse as big as a horse, Bottomly Potts all covered in spots, and the scary Scarface Claw the meanest cat in town.

7 comments:

Veronica Wald said...

Will they let you take pictures? It looks like great fun!

Candygirlflies said...

I wish I could get my hands on copies of this series!! It sounds like just the thing for emerging readers-- I love seeing children giggle and "fall" for clever rhymes like that!!

Hope you are well.

xo CGF

merinz said...

Candy - have you ever read any of the hairy Maclary series? They are priceless, and a very firm favourite with all ages!

They are also lovely for an adult to read as although there is often some repetition it seldom become tedious.

Here are some of the books in the series.

merinz said...

http://www.wheelers.co.nz/browse/search/results/?series=hairy+maclary

Jinksy said...

Judging form the names, I think I'd get on well with the lady who invented them!

Putz said...

are you a dog lover or do i sort of remember you being a cat person??????????

Unknown said...

Ive heard of Slinky Malinky before, no idea where or why but definitely heard it.

They do look lovely books, the ones you treasure all your life.