
Our Christmas tree - the NZ pohutukawa - is in flower, decorations are starting to appear around town, people are haunting the toyshops, must be nearly Christmas.
Today I visited a place that always reminds me of Christmas. The colour is just the right shade of red, however the image may not be everyone's idea of the festive season.
Like it or not, the holiday season can be one of unexpected events, not always pleasant. It is a time when the NZ Blood Service is often desperate to ensure they have adequate blood supplies over the holiday season to cover all eventualities.
The New Zealand Blood Service is the body primarily responsible for blood donation and related services in New Zealand. It is thought that around 80% of New Zealanders would need some type of blood donation in their lifetime but only 3% of New Zealanders donate.
Today I gave my 25th donation of blood. Well actually it is more than that, but it is the 25th since their records have been computerised. I was showered with gifts - an umbrella with NZ Blood Service written all over it, a pen, a key ring, and a lapel pin!
Giving blood is not painless, it often hurts a little and I am sometimes left with a small bruise. And it takes about 40 minutes out of my day.
But a blood transfusion once saved the life of a member of my family. And may save your life one day.
7 comments:
Giving blood is one gift almost everyone can afford to give...all over the world, not just in NZ. :)
You have my admiration on this one!
Good for you. I have never given blood. At teacher's college I was turned down because I was only 17. I passed out when other students returned to the science lab and were discussing the process. I came to lying on the dissecting table - the professor and others hovering over me. Now 64, I've had a few blood tests, but have not given for others. Good for you!
I donated a lot before I moved but just haven't gotten into the habit here. Thanks for the reminder that I should make the effort to donate.
I can't thank you enough for your kind words. I have re-read them several times because I really need to and they help! xo
Thank you everyone for your comments!
And Ms Mamma - glad I could be of help.
what is this nz business??????????that good ole jinksey talks about , and wht about our muttual friend tisme 2 gail
Post a Comment